In the July 1st ’13 issue of OC Register Metro magazine we dust off the 3 piece suits, refill our Zippo lighters and stock the drink carts to pay homage to the OC ad industry in this Mad Men inspired cover story package. Metro explores how the industry has changed over the past 30 years, who the key players are … and, of course, how to stay ‘creatively inebriated’ in this cocktail feature. Six classics, with their own modern twists, round out the feature and keep our whistles wet and our words loose. Get all the recipes, or just tide yourself over until happy hour (Death & Taxes, Diablo Smash, Bistango Manhattan, Americano & Singapore Sling).
Up next, the…
Classic inspired cocktail by Bistango in Irvine, CA.
- 1 sugar cube
- 1 shot Templeton Rye whiskey
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- 1/4 shot Pernod absinthe
- Fill one glass with ice. Put sugar cube in the second glass. Add just enough water to moisten it, then crush the cube of sugar.
- In another glass, add the rye, the bitters and just a few cubes of ice, then stir. Discard the ice from the first glass and pour in the absinthe.
- Turn the glass to coat the sides with the absinthe, and then pour out the excess. Strain the rye mixture into the absinthe-coated glass. Twist a lemon peel over the glass, and rub the rim with peel, then discard.
Preparation time: 3min
Total time: 5min